Tuscan Villa

Tuscan Villa
now thats Italian

Friday, July 3, 2009

A LAWYER'S STORY











A LAWYER’S STORY

For as far back as I can remember my parents always wanted me to become a lawyer. They were enamored by the education, prestige, and earning potential that a well schooled lawyer possessed.

I actually had hopes of making a career playing football, but like most young students I soon succumbed to the wishes of my parents. My plan had been to enjoy my college years and spend an absolute minimum time studying, and a maximum time partying and girl chasing, but soon found myself working in earnest towards my law degree.

I end up graduating with honors and surprised myself as much as my folks. After a short sabbatical I landed a job with a major law firm as a research assistant/ coffee boy. I found myself enjoying the pace, energy, and activity and came to both respect and admire the senior partners. To be truthful I was having a great time.

After passing the bar exam, I was given a small raise and noticed that I was afforded a slightly higher amount of respect around the office. I figured that I had made it, I was one of the good old boys. I later discovered you have to around a long time before you get a corner office and even longer to get your name on the door.

It wasn’t too long after that when I realized that this business was about hard work and long hours. I can tell you now that what may seem like a glamorous business to people on the outside is actually a tough and exacting business on the inside.

At the end of the day, lawyers get paid for results. We get paid well but if we don’t deliver the goods on time and consistently, our clients are quick to move on to greener pastures. Speaking from experience I can tell you that we do a lot of research and home work that never hits our clients billing statement.

I think our profession often gets viewed as a road paved with easy money. Most people just don’t see the small army of research assistants, paralegals, receptionists, secretaries, and office managers it takes to run a successful office.

Try working in an office with a dozen other type “A” personalities, that all want something done by yesterday. There is a good deal of behind the scenes pressure and time constraints that most clients and people outside the industry never see. Overall it’s a very rewarding job, but it sure isn’t an easy one.

Clients come to us for advice and legal assistance and their expectation is that we will always make the right call. I think a lot of clients expect us to give them an iron clad guarantee and there is no such thing. They trust that we will always win the case, or get the judgment in their favor. Unfortunately life, business, and the law are just not that predictable, although sometimes I wish they were. For me it’s always difficult to face a client after things in court didn’t go our way. My boss tried to ease my conscience one day after a particularly difficult decision. He pulled me aside one day and gave me some good advice. “ Some cases you will win and some you will lose. Ultimately their disposition is up to the judge and the triers of the facts. Its your job to present a well planned and researched case that aligns the facts and the law in a manner that best presents your clients case in the most favorable light.”

The truth is we are all human and come to work with the same baggage and concerns as other professions. Perhaps the kids kept us up late with a last minute school project, the new puppy kept us up all night, or maybe we are just plain tired from a 60+ hour work week. We can argue a case brilliantly in front of judge and jury, but may not be able to win a simple argument with our spouse or significant other.

At some point in our career we all tend to hit the wall. Maybe we worked too long of a stretch without a vacation or break, or maybe we just can’t find the joy in what we are doing anymore. In most cases we just push thru it and lawyer on, till retirement and that gold watch, but sometimes it occurs to us that its just time to move on.

For me, I got a job in talk radio. Now I get to make my arguments into a microphone everyday and get to go home after a 3 hour show. I feel like I am still making an impact on people’s lives but I don’t have to worry about the deadlines, juries, and office politics. Not only that, I get to show up to work in shorts and boat shoes everyday. Case closed.

Please feel free to contact me at : pooritalinboy@gmail.com

P.I.B.

No comments: